Snippets from Science

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Stopping to smell the flowers

Today, I spent the afternoon at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, and I must say- I don't think there could have been a more beautiful day for flowers. It's spring, so everything is in bloom. The lilac bushes were amazing, the azaleas, tree peonies, and tulips were gorgeous. It is just a wonderful place- and only $3.00 with a student ID (yea- milk that until you look old).
While I really enjoyed my 2.5 hours strolling through the garden, I couldn't help but (sort of) wish I was there on a date. Don't get me wrong- my "me time" is crucial: I need to do things by myself in order to get centered. But as I walked past couples, some married with babies, some new, some old, I got a little bit jealous. At the same time, I felt overwhelmingly calm and peaceful with myself. That's a good thing, no? I take comfort in the fact that I can go pretty much anywhere by myself, and not feel strange. I like to sit in parks and read. I like to go for coffee. I like to do museums, parks, and gardens on my own. So, even though I was imagining what a wonderful date the BBG would be (and who is to say it won't be a future engagement?), I'm glad I was there alone. If you can't be comfortable by yourself, how can you be comfortable with someone else?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home