Snippets from Science

Thursday, May 04, 2006

I just need a trim

Having naturally curly hair is a blessing and a curse. People have always told me that they "pay a fortune" to have hair like mine and that I'm "so lucky" that this is natural. It ain't as easy as it appears, folks. True- I don't spend much time doing my hair..in fact, I spend about 2 minutes. I shower at night (to save time in the AM), so in the morning, all I have to do is wet my hair, throw some product up in that joint, style it with my fingers, and I'm good to go. I let it air dry, because blow drying it (again) takes more time, and makes it frizzier. But tight curly hair is actually pretty fine and thin- it appears as though I have enough hair for days, but in reality, I do not. I have to use expensive products, and make sure my hair is trimmed often so it doesn't dry out any faster than it naturally would.
Through the years (and by that, I mean going away to college and moving away from home=finding a new sylist), I have discovered that finding the right stylist for someone with hair like mine is really essential. I can't go to just anyone to cut these locks. If the stylist doesn't have experience in cutting curly hair, it could be bad- very, very, bad. I recall my most horrific hair cut experience from 8th grade, where I looked like a poodle with a bowl cut. Ya. No need to revisit that.
I was lucky enough to find a great stylist in Baltimore- recommended to me because of his coloring abilities and also curly hair experience. Now that I've moved, I have to find someone new. I know it's gonna cost me- this is New York, after all.
So I've been doing some research, and the "Top 5" salons for curly hair charge anywhere between 70-235 for a cut. Obsviously, I won't be with the salon owner: at $235 a pop, he better cut my hair and give birth for me. But I figure I will have to shell out anywhere between $100-130 for a cut, and $85-125 for color. Yikes.
So the next time someone says to me, "Wow! That's natural? You're so lucky!"- I'll have them the bill for my hair. See how natural THAT is.

2 Comments:

  • Go to naturallycurly.com, and go to the bottom of the page. It gives recommendations by city for stylists trained for curly hair. That's where I found a fantastic stylist here in St. Louis. Good luck!

    ~~Missy (the girl who knows Robert cause she was in a show with him at DPU, and now reads your blog as well :) )

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 AM  

  • I thought my $200 for a cut/colour over here was crazy.

    You have my empathy.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home