Snippets from Science

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Maybe THAT's why I'm single

Last night, between many rounds of PBR, my friend Bucket and I got to discussing relationships, hookups, being approachable- you know: singleness. I had made a joke earlier in the week, telling Bucket that all I wanted for my birthday was a date. I was joking...sort of. That's not to say I was on a manhunt last night, but I thought that MAYBE I would talk to at least one attractive, single, straight stranger last night. Well I did- enough to say, "what? yeah, your umbrella is over here." Score.
Bucket pointed out the obvious- I'm hanging out with 3 dudes. Be it that they are all queer, we were in mixed company. I mean, I didn't believe Bucket when he told me he was gay, so for all anyone knows, I could be with my boyfriend and 2 of his friends. Secondly, I'm not so sure I have any "game". How am I supposed to look in order to be approached? Honestly, I was one of the more attractive girls out last night (where we were, at least). Yet, nuttin. What am I doing wrong?
As Robert wrote about in last week's Dirty Laundry, I have a "No Bullshit" rule when it comes to dating. I would honestly rather be by myself, bullshit free, than have to deal with the possible trials and tribulations of wading through puddles of it. Call me crazy- but at least there's only ONE crazy. And although my no BS stance is certainly here to stay, I consider flexibility once in a while.
Take, for instance, my crush. This crush (we'll call him "Jack") has been an acquaintance of mine for years, but only recently has become a better friend. I don't really know him all that well, yet I'm 12 years old when he talks to me. He sends me really vague signals, and I honestly have no idea what his feelings/intentions are toward me. You would think, being that I don't do the BS, I'd either call him out on it, or forget about it. But no- it pretty much consumes me every time we talk, and I just can't bring myself to say, "Self- this is lame. Tell him to shit or get off the pot."
So I'm not sure where this puts me. On one hand, I love the crush rush, but on the other hand, I have to be smart about it. Perhaps there's room for just a STITCH of shit.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home