Snippets from Science

Monday, May 01, 2006

Rules to live by

We all know that New York is a huge city- lotsa lotsa people, all going in different directions, all at the same time. One really must keep this in mind when walking around midtown (an absolute hellish experience most of the time), and remember- most of these people don't live here. The same, unfortunately, can be said for Central Park. Now, I'm only a recent transplant, so I have no problem with tourists visiting this fair city. It's an amazing place, and why not take advantage of all she has to offer?
But, dear tourists and others alike, let's keep a few things in mind. I'll make a little list- print it out, memorize it, whatever you need to do to abide by these guidelines. I promise, it will make everyone a lot happier.

1.) When walking down the sidewalk, be it in midtown or Brooklyn, TRY not to be more than 3 abreast. If the sidewalk is particularly narrow, keep it to 2. If you roll 4 deep, I'll run into you- hard and on purpose.

2.) Seeing the sites? Not familiar with all the Empire State Building? That's fine. But DO NOT stop in the middle of the sidewalk, and look up, with 500 people behind you. Step to the side, let the traffic pass. The same goes for taking a picture. If you're standing 20 ft. away (as most people are), trying to take a photo, don't act surprised/pissed if your picture looks like shit. Be smart about these things, people.

3.) If you are walking in the running/biking lane in Central Park, DON'T. I cannot tell you how annoying this is to me. There are a million sidewalks and pathways in the park designed for walking and hiking. Use one of those. Otherwise, be prepared for tiremarks and footprints all over your "I Love NY" tee shirt.

4.) Please please please, when exiting the subway, keep walking. Don't slow up as you reach the top of the stairs, and definately don't stop at the top of the stairs. Chances are, there are many people behind you waiting to exit the tube as well- do yourself a favor and keep it movin'. Otherwise, once again, a stampede just might occur.


I think these points are pretty much common sense. You'd be surprised how many people disagree with me. Or, at least, don't practice these friendly pedestrian pointers. So the next time you are in New York, or any other city with mass amounts of people anywhere at any given time, think of me. Pleeeeeeeeease?

3 Comments:

  • I am so glad that I am not one of those people....or am I? Hm.....

    By Blogger missnakia, at 6:23 AM  

  • oh my god, every time we'd go on vacation my mother would scream at us "for walking four abreast!" and we'd always roll our eyes and be like, "MOOOOOMMMM, we're in disney world."

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:51 AM  

  • a breast!!

    By Blogger Ratface, at 6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home