Snippets from Science

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Di-VA

I tried to post of picture of Miss Thang herself, but my computer here at work won't let me do it. I'll find one later.

At any rate, last night, I saw Renee Fleming sing at the Myerhoff. This woman is the epitome of all that is diva. She is not only gorgeous and regal, but her singing is flawless, composed, supported, controlled, and delivered without fail. She really is "the beautiful voice". It doesn't take a singer to know that this woman is IT. Her career is amazing- concert after recital after opera after book signing...it really makes me wonder how one person can do that much. Of course, she has a team of people who travel with her- personal assistant, manager, probably dietician (cause she looks AMAZING), maybe trainer. Did I mention all of her gowns are designed specifically for her? Can you imagine? "Hi, Vera Wang- yeah listen... I'm doing a recital at St. David's of Roland Park- can you do something in pink for me?" I must admit, although she sounded fabulous as usual, I was a bit disappointed with the program. Now, I realize it's the holiday season, so she sang all holiday-related pieces, but couldn't she throw in some Strauss somewhere? What about "Ain't it a Pretty Night"? No "Porgi Amor" to bring me to my knees? Damn. But she made me weep nonetheless with her floating flawlessness and breath support that goes for days and days. I was also thrilled when she sang "Rejoice" from the Messiah, because even Renee Fleming runs out of steam at the end of those melismas. We also do the same ornamentation. Yay. So, all in all, it was very enjoyable. She is an inspiration.

And now for my Grinchy part of this post:
It's difficult to enjoy an arteest such as Ms. Fleming when the audience is full of idiots. OK..so not the entire audience, but definately the two horrible 55 year old dykes in front of me. From the moment we sat down, these women were all over the map. Stand up, sit down, stand up, sit down (fight, fight, fight!). The one sitting directly in front of me either had too much caffeine or is ADD because she would NOT STOP moving the ENTIRE concert. Everytime she bounced her fat little head from side to side, I had to change head direction. She was blocking my view for 80% of the evening. That's when she wasn't scratching her gross girlfriend's back, or STANDING up in the middle of something to adjust her awful pantsuit. I was very very close to tapping her on the shoulder to tell her to stay put, but my mom held me back. But not without laughing at my discomfort. OH..how could I forget? Everytime these bitches clapped for Renee, they did the over-the-head clap...you know- what you might do a rock concert? That blocked my view even more, and just looks stupid. Don't get me wrong- as a singer, we need all the patronage we can get. But can't we do a screening or something?

2 Comments:

  • Yes, schmaltzy though she may be, she's fucking fabulous. Saw her last year.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:28 AM  

  • it's only because you hang out with gays 24/7 that you get to use a word like "dyke" and not sound like a raging evil homophobe. i'd have any other straight girl's hair knotted in my fingers by now.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home