Snippets from Science

Monday, September 26, 2005

525,600 Crap

So have you heard about the new RENT movie that due to come out soon? I'm not a fan..I saw the musical in London with half of the original cast, and was not impressed. The story itself is fine- since Puccini wrote it first. But the music and singing leaves MUCH to be desired. The dancing was OK, the acting subpar, and the "orchestra"..well, there was no orchestra.
You see, I grew up doing musical theater. I did my first show at age 6, and just kept on keepin on until college- then I got into opera. I am a fan of musical theater...I can't say that for all classical singers. I like singing M.T. rep, and I'm good at it. I'd take a starring role in Oklahoma or Sweeny Todd any day of the week. But as far as RENT is concerned, I'd sooner sing back-up for Creed than screech out La Vie Boheme. As Robert would say, Ew, Rent.

4 Comments:

  • haha.

    on the contrary, amazingly, i wouldn't say "ew, rent." yes, the singing sucks. but i appreciate it because of the really specific place it inhabits in early-90's hiv awareness.

    By Blogger Robert, at 8:18 AM  

  • AND early-90's bad fashion awareness. by the by, can i still wear gaucho pants - or are they already passe? keep in mind - i'm living in sheboygan, wisconsin.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 8:32 AM  

  • Well, seeing as I grew up with both Andrew Lloyd Webber and R&H, I guess I was used to the "rock opera". But I thought what set RENT apart was really the music - it's very well-written, and the pace keeps up throughout the show, something that's pretty hard to achieve.

    Plus, it's the first show I knew of where two gay guys had a prominent role in the story.

    By Blogger George Lam, at 9:51 AM  

  • aids aids aids aids aids. I like lease better. Or whatever it was called.

    America-Fuck Ya!

    By Blogger Ratface, at 10:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home