Snippets from Science

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Get it Together

One of my biggest pet peaves is unpreparedness. Actually it's more than a pet peave- it annoys me to no end, pisses me off, ruffles the feathers of my feathers, and generally makes me feel like punching someone. I also hate it when people are late, which I think goes hand in hand with being unprepared. Anyway, dealing with unprepared people is something that is common in the music field. It's unfortunate, but true. And singers, in particualar, are known for their excuses, tardiness, and egotism. The singers who display these qualities make a bad name for all of us.

Tonight at church choir rehearsal, I had to sit through 2 hours of certain singers and their unpreparedness(es?). Now, I could say, it's still early in the game- we just started rehearsing last week, and some of the singers are new, and still getting used to the fast paced rehearsal and rep. But it wasn't the new singers who were fucking up- it was the ones who have been there for a year (or longer.) There is really no excuse for not being prepared for a rehearsal. This is our craft- showing up without even looking at the music lame, and needing someone to bang out your notes for you is even worse. And there sat Robert, a baritone who practiced his BARITONE parts, sightreading the tenor line all night. I didn't hear one mistake from him all night. He's one of the best and smartest musicians I know. But other singers, who have had their music for weeks, couldn't read a perfect 5th or a 1/2 step. Pathetic.

UNfortunately, laziness is something that will always abound in the music field. I assume it's the same way in theatre, visual arts, and most any other profession. That's what separates the good from the bad. Just as long as the bad know who they are, and stay the hell away from me.

3 Comments:

  • wha? tell me more - who are they? friendster me the names. i need the names.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:08 PM  

  • Luckily unpreparednes in visual arts means you get no shows, cause either A) you dont produce work or B) cause gallery owners are really mean. In theatre i was the meanest director/stage manager ever. I think you just need to be meaner. Mean is the answer.

    By Blogger Michael G Bare, at 10:35 AM  

  • who is this robert of which you speak and why is he so smart? he needs to hear details.

    By Blogger Robert, at 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home