Snippets from Science

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Now, Something Not-so-Funny

Let me try to act surprised before I say this........um......OK. My car was broken into this morning. Again. For the second time in 2 months. After moving to a more affluent neighborhood. This makes the 3rd time in 3 years. Again, I'm shocked. Could it be, that in this Charming city known as Baltimore, there is crime on every corner? Drug addicts, prostitutes, and vagrants just waiting to violate the more fortunate? In a neighborhood where the average income per family is probably $300,000-500,000/ year, one would think the piece of shit that burglarized my '95 Grand Am might have better luck at finding something of value in one of the Audis or Volvos that line my street. But no- he (and we'll just go with he here...for all I know it was some crackhead woman, but go with me) jimmied the lock on my door, rummaged through the glove box, scattered my old Morrissey tapes throughout the back seat, and emptied the trash from my back seat trash bag. Here is where I feel like an asshole: I had a prescription filled last night, for dry skin- DRY SKIN CREAM- and inadvertantly left it in the glove box over night. Well, the cream is gone. Yes, the only thing stolen was my dry skin medicine. No vicadin, percocet, prozac, or anything that one could actually sell on the drug circuit. Nope. Dry skin cream. Cream that cost me 10 bones. Now I have to explain to Rite Aid that some fuckface stole my medicine, and see if they will replace the RX. Plus my dry skin hurts.

So, I continue to shake my head in disbelief at the utter selfishness of this fair city. I come from a small town where people are nice, and cars are rarely burglarized. I have left my car unlocked overnight several times, and no one even notices. Even living in a college town, where drunken acts of craziness were prevalent, nothing ever happened to my vehicle. Found someone sleeping on my porch once, but that's a different story. I'm jaded by this city. I'm more bitter and scarcastic than I have ever been, and I don't like it. I keep telling myself that when I get out of Baltimore and move to New York, things will be different. After all, most people think New York is the greatest city on earth. God I hope I become one of those people. I hope this chip on my shoulder falls and shatters, and I hope I can stop jumping to conclusions so easily. At least I won't have to worry about my car being burglarized. A reliable form of public transportation...things are looking up already.

4 Comments:

  • we're moving. just keep telling yourself that.

    oh, and sorry about taking the skin cream...my skin's dry!

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:28 AM  

  • sorry to hear that your skin's dry. i hear NYC is better for skins in general.

    By Blogger George Lam, at 9:52 AM  

  • come to flavor country. they only steal souls in the midwest.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 12:19 PM  

  • From Eliza
    My van got broken into on Saturday in front of my church between 12-2PM. That is the second time this month! Both times the window was smashed. The asshole took my sarasota duffel bag with my clothes from the day before (some of my favorite clothes) and all my makeup! Ive spent over $300 on windows this month. I FEEL YOUR PAIN AND DISGUST. CHARM CITY,WE ARE MOVING!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home