Snippets from Science

Monday, March 27, 2006

To the Roots

For Christmas, I bought my older brother an Itunes gift certificate, and made him a (kickass) mixed cd for the gym. I expected to hear about it almost immediately, as my brother was once my gateway to all that is good in popular music. When other kids were freaking out about NKOTB, I was singing "People are People" by Depeche Mode and "Girlfriend in a Coma" by the Smiths. My first CD was They Might Be Giants, followed by Automatic for the People (REM) and Violater (Depeche Mode).
Well Christmas came and went, and I heard nothing about the CD. In fact, he didn't even mention it until last week, and that was to tell me that I had effed up labeling tracks. Well, he finally admitted that he likes the cd, but was embarrassed because he's out of touch with new music. His CD collection pretty much ends with Oasis and Hooverphonic, and (shhh!) I've stolen several DM and Cure cds from him, so I know he no longer listens to those albums.
Strange...my brother was my total influence for rock-n-roll. Without him, I never would have listened to half the stuff I do. Now the tables have turned. I provided him with a list of current albums I'm diggin, but was sure to remind him that I am true to my roots. My library just isn't complete without the Smiths, The Cure, Fugazi, and Erasure.

1 Comments:

  • i dread the day when my younger friends go, "what? your collection ends with [fill in the blank]?" because it will eventually happen. eventually everything new will sound to me like fall out boy and the black eyed peas and i'll just stop buying it.

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home