Snippets from Science

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Celebreality

Celebs abound in NYC. There are so many famous people who live in the city, walk the streets, have beers, and change in sports club locker rooms. I must say, as trivial as it is, I'm looking forward to seeing Joaquin Phoenix (in case you didn't know, I love him a little) in the village, or SJP shopping at Bergdorf's. But what about those celebs who aren't photographed in US Weekly?
That's right- I'm talking about famous classical musicians. (Nerd alert! Nerd alert!)
Yesterday, while shopping at Petalson's, I nearly almost ran into James Levine. (For my non-singer readers, James Levine is the conducter of the METROPOLITAN OPERA orchestra). I was purchasing some music, and he came in, walked right past me, and began browsing the magazines. My friend John was looking at the magazines, and I said "Ahem...John!" He looked up, noticed Jimmy L, and said "Hello Maestro". HA!
After a minute or so of staring, I realized he was pretty much a normal guy. A normal guy who conducts the best opera orchestra in the world. A normal guy who has worked with the most famous opera singers in the world. A normal guy whom I hope hears me sing someday. I was tempted to bust out my audition folder right there between Miniture Scores and Vocal Collections, but I thought better of myself. Shameless promotion will get you nowhere?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home