Snippets from Science

Friday, November 18, 2005

Advice

"George is a lawyer now in Hanover. How about that?  We have a friend who is a lawyer.  He has a law practice in Hanover. We have friends that are doing this. Settling down and making homes for themselves. And what are we doing? Flitting around gotham chasing the yellow brick road. Explain that one."

That is a little excerpt from an email I received from my friend Jonathan a few days ago. George is a guy I went to high school with, who is now engaged to be married, and (as it says) is a lawyer. He's 25, just like me and Jonathan. I might be more surprised at this news if he didn't live in Hanover, PA. If he lived in, say, Chicago and just bought a fantastic townhouse with his finacee, while making partner at a large firm, then I would be surprised. But the fact remains that most of my graduating class is already engaged, married, and/or have children. So it doesn't really come as a shock.

"Flitting around gotham and chasing the yellow brick road", as Jonathan said, is exactly what we're doing. And, as I told him, I wouldn't have it any other way. He lives in New York, and I'm about to move to New York. It's the most fabulous city in this country...and many people say in the world. It's exciting and cutting-edge, and I can't wait to be a part of that. Jonathan said he doesn't see himself being married before he's 40. Personally, I hope it's before 40 for me. There's that whole biological clock issue.

But the more I learn about married life, the more I can wait. I used to think the perfect age to get married was 27-28. I still don't think it's a terrible idea, but I must say, at 25.5 years old, I think 29-30 is more probable. The 20's are a time of self-discovery and change. If you marry at 23, and start a family 2 years later, where will you be at 40? Ask any of my co-workers. They all married young, had kids young, and are now mid-life crisising. I hear allll sorts of stories about husbands and kids, and just as soon as they want me to date the cute med student down the hall, they're telling me not to get married until I'm 30. I've heard many-a-tale about childbirth, sick kids, soccer practice, no sleep, and lots of money spent on it all. That doesn't exactly sound like something I'm ready for...just yet.

So, I say congratulations to George, and to all the rest of the engaged and married friends I have. I really do think it's wonderful. If I had a boyfriend, I may feel totally different. But as for now, this is my single stance.

6 Comments:

  • listen, hilary, i don't like cities, but i like new york. other places make me feel like a dork.

    By Blogger Robert, at 7:28 AM  

  • Oh Madge.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 7:58 AM  

  • Smart girl.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 9:16 AM  

  • watch out - you've got chicagoans reading this. and let's aim for 35 - that way we can put our children in a round padded room together while we plan our retirement.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:36 AM  

  • oh yeah - and in 10 years, it'll be "george is finally finding himself after being trapped in a hell of his own making for the most vital period of his life." sorry george. it's just a for instance.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 10:01 AM  

  • Kids kind of make me a little sick. I can stomach being married and it's pretty sweet, but kids make everything complicated. Also, they wear diapers and that's icky.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home