Snippets from Science

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Obsession, by Calvin Klein

Audition season this year has been a bit disorganized, to say the least. Up until 2 years ago, the main "audition week" for most major opera houses' Young Artist Programs was the first week of December. Singers schlepped up to New York for the week, doing as many auditions as were granted, and having holiday fun in the meantime. Well that, apparently, is a thing of the past. Now, companies start auditioning as early as September, with many auditions in October, and the ones in December are all over the map. This presents a problem, as I have made multiple trips to New York, and have 2 more left to go. Now, don't get me wrong- I love going to New York. Next year I won't have this problem- I'll just be able to audition on my lunch hour. But it takes time and money...2 things I seem to be running short on these days.
What's worse is waiting in anticipation for audition results. I don't expect a contract 2 days later, but some form of communication would be nice. Some companies don't even send rejection letters. And worse than waiting for the results of the audition (for me),is waiting to see if I am granted an audition at all! Thus, my current obsession with checking my email every 5 minutes. "You do that already, Hilary", you say. "No...every 15 minutes, maybe...but not every 5", I say. I am obsessed with finding out if I have an auditions for Cincinnatti, St. Louis, and Minnesota. They are the last 3- and all in the same weekend. I've sung for St. Louis for the past 2 years, and done very well both times. Does that mean it's someone else's turn this year?
Gotta go- my inbox may be full.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home