Snippets from Science

Monday, November 21, 2005

If I had to pay this RENT, I'd be evicted.

OK...I know I wrote a previous post about RENT, and my distaste for it, but I think it's time for another.
First- I know a lot of my friends enjoy this musical, which is fine. At least they all have the foresite not to beat it into my head that they love it, and I'm crazy for not liking it, blah blah blah. Robert and George pointed out the importance of RENT in terms of AIDS awareness in the early 90's. Totally agree with them- very important.
BUT. I still hate it. And what I hate even more is people who think just because I'm singer, means I automatically have interested in this movie, telling me they are going to see it. And they are excited. And I have to bear a shit-eating grin so to conceal my true distaste. It's kind of like when someone tells me they heard 'Phantom of the Opera' and thought of me: but worse. MOST classical singers I know HATE HATE Andrew L. Weber. Personally, I don't mind him. I agree that a lot of what he writes is crap...but at least it's pretty crap.
Soooooo...maybe my tolerance of Andrew L Weber is like my friends' preference for RENT. Likeable crap.

3 Comments:

  • just for that i'm going to make you watch the movie for 525,600 minutes.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:38 PM  

  • I'd sooner slit my throat.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 1:36 PM  

  • Jay, you really do live in the south, eh? It's a musical, with a movie version now coming out. (it's lame!)

    By Blogger Hilary, at 5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home