Snippets from Science

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I'm not 80 Years Old

I really hate being called "Ma'am"...I mean REALLY hate it. In fact, I never use the word when addressing a lady, as I find it generic. I've worked many-a-retail and customer service jobs and have successfully avoided using "ma'am" as a means of addressing a woman. "Miss" works OK for younger girls, although I find just a friendly hello will get attention.
I just received my confirmation call from the Dish Network for my installation this Friday, and the guy on the other end of the phone called me "Ma'am" roughly 50 times. Seriously- every other word. Interesting that he can't read English well enough to know how to spell the word "cold", but "Ma'am" just rolls right off his toungue. Grrrrr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home