Snippets from Science

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Rockin' Good Time

There's nothing like a good rock show. I've been to many-a-show in my day, ranging from stadiums, to clubs, to the YMCA, to basements. I don't prefer to go to stadium shows anymore; I don't think it's worth the money (although I do plan to see NIN this fall). But I do frequent smaller venues like D.C.'s 9:30 Club, Baltimore's Ottobar, and (coming soon!!) New York's Irving Plaza. Shows at venues such as these are affordable, intimate (well...as intimate as a punk show can be), and fun.
But as I get older, I find that my desire to be down in front of the stage, close enough to see nose hairs, has faded. Kids these days are rough! I've been caught in "mosh pits" (this term is a thing of the past), and at a younger age, it was fine. But now I fear that I'll get punched in the face, break an arm, or lose my glasses...nerdy? No...just 25. I prefer to be in the balcony, where I can see all the action from a story up. I'm still close to the band, but the acoustics are better and I don't have to worry about getting a bloody lip.
As I stood on the upper left balcony of the 9:30 Club last night watching Alkaline Trio rock out "97", I watched the crowd below push and jump with excitement. "That used to be me", I thought. "Maybe I'll go down...". Nahhh... my back hurts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home