Snippets from Science

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Pedicure

I hate walking around the city in summer footware. I am flat-footed, so I don't have arches. Arch-less footed people shouldn't wear flip-flops. But I do. And I wear other non-supportive sandals. Why? Because I'm barely 5'3", and wearing a tennis shoe or other bulky lace-up makes me look even shorter...and that's no good. All in the name of fashion, I say, but my feet look as though they got stuck in a lawn mower. It's awful! I have about 17 different Band-Aids per foot, and carry Neosporin in my purse. And pedicures ain't cheap. I know once I move to New York, open-toed footware will be less of an option. I remember once last summer, I arrived in New York wearing flip-flops, and promptly changed into my black Diesels when Wren and I went out for coffee/dinner. There is no telling what has been drug across a subway train's floor. Unless I'm wearing some strappy, hot dress sandal, open-toed shoes will be a beach-only (or shower-only in the gym!) in NYC.
As for now, I just deal with the pain, but reluctantly. Yesterday, as I was walking the 5 blocks to my hair salon, the Band-Aid mending my newest blister kept sliding down the side of my foot. I had to stop every half a block, cursing, and adjust the bandage. Will I ever learn? Probably not.

2 Comments:

  • first of all, ONLY 5'3"? you're a hulking tower of a woman.

    secondly, i wear flip flops in nyc all the time; you just have to keep up on your tetanus shots.

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:20 AM  

  • aerosoles. save my tootsies. arch support doesn't have to be butchy!

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home