Snippets from Science

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Justify My Thug

I think I have a little crush on Jay-Z. I've been listening to the Black album (it's on rotation on the ol' I-Pizzle), and I have developed a small crush! Now, much like my other recording-star crushes, it's not like he has full sleeve tattoos (a la Chris Carrabba), or a gorgeous face (a la Brandon Boyd) or a bangin' bod (a la Lenny Kravitz). But the album is really good, and this is coming from someone whose hip-hop collection includes the Beastie Boys, The Roots, and a Tribe Called Quest album I no longer possess because someone stole it from me back in college.
I'm not sure exactly what it is that makes him crush-worthy. But I think that part of it is the fact that is he is not a crappy Southern rapper (thanks to Nakia for schooling me the ways of bad and good rap), and his voice isn't all thuggish and ruggish. You can understand what he's saying, the beats are cool, and he's not talking about how/who he wants to bone.
Whatever it is, I'm no Beyonce, so I don't think Mr. Z and I will be getting together any time soon, but I sure do like his record.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home