Snippets from Science

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Edumacation

I try to be friendly to just about everyone with whom I come in contact. And by just about everyone, I mean excluding the vagrants on the street and the hooting, harrassing construction workers on the sidewalk. I usually smile and maybe do the silent, mouthing "Hi" (as Dan pointed out, that's a common Peabody hallway-passing mechanism). But sometimes, even a smile or a mouthed "Hi" isn't enough to shake the pretentious attitudes of some people- in this case, medical grad students. There is one girl, in particular, with whom I have tried to be friendly countless times. I see her in the bathroom, I smile and say excuse me. She walks right past me with no response. I see her in the hallway, I do the silent "hi". I get nothing from her. So today, when I saw her and a group of her fellow grad students waiting in the same elevator queue as me, I didn't expect any sort of friendly exchange. I stood right beside her on the elevator, and when she needed to get past me to exit, she didn't say excuse me, and nearly pushed me out of the way. Enough is enough! I gave her the nastiest "Hold up, BITCH" look that I could muster, and I know her equally snotty friends saw me. I felt like saying, "Who do you think you are? You know what? I'm just as educated as you are- actually more becuase I've already finished grad school. I hate the holier-than-thou attitudes you people project. You're not hot shit until you prove an important experiment. So quit being such a bitch. And you're not even cute."
But I didn't. Because I'm better than that. But if it had been another time of the month...

1 Comments:

  • my favorite is, "you're not even that cute." like if she was cindy crawford, it might be a little more acceptable. wait, is cindy crawford cute still?

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home