Snippets from Science

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Yes sir, aye- aye Captain, or whatever

I've been granted an audition for the Army Field Band Soldier's Chorus. Now the fun begins! Along with my "acceptance letter", or whatever you want to call it, I was sent a packet of information and music. The first item of business is to call my local recruiter to set up a meeting. From there, the recruiter schedules my physical and ASVAB test. Do I have to call him Major Sargeant or whatever his rank is? Do I salute? I don't know. You might even be surprised to know there are Army recruiters in New York City- I was. I mean, there has to be, but it's still strange.

Being that this IS New York, the melting pot of the world, the following transpired yesterday:

(P.S.- I'm not being racist; this is exactly what was said)

Man on Phone: Herro Sgt. (couldn't understand it)
Me: Um, yes. Hello. I've been offered an audition with the Soldiers Chorus, and I need to see a recruiter for my testing and physical before my audition.
Him: Ahh, recruiter? You interested in joining Army, yes?
Me: Well, yes, maybe. I have to audition first. I really just need to set up an appointment with a recruiter. Can you help me with that?
Him: So, how old are you? You interested in Army?
Me: (explain the entire thing again)
Him: .......
Me: I NEED AN APPOINTMENT WITH A RECRUITER TO POSSIBLY JOIN THE ARMY.
Him: How old are you? Do you have high school diproma?
Yes: 27, and yes. I have a Masters Degree.
Him: Spell your name for me.
Me: H-i-l-a-r-y
Him: Hirrary?
Me: Well, yes.
Him: Ahhh, ok. I will transfer you to someone who knows what to tell you. I don't know.
Me: THANK YOU.

I've read how disorganized the Army can be- looks like I'm off to a good start.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home