Snippets from Science

Monday, August 20, 2007

School Daze

Today is undoubtedly the first day of school for many kids across America. New bookbags, pencils, clothing, and teachers- resentful and pissed off that their 2 month vacation is over.

When I was in elementary school, we didn't start school until after Labor Day; at least, from what I can remember. I remember the first day of school being a bit cool, like today. A few weeks before that first day, my mom took my sister and I shopping for new sneakers, bookbags, and school supplies. I always looked forward to this. After shopping, I would spend every night until school started arranging my school supplies in my bookbag, making sure everything was properly labeled and in order. After the first week, that compulsion died and my backpack became a graveyard for crumpled paper and broken pencil points.

I remember one year, maybe going into the 3rd or 4th grade, we were at JC Penny, buying sneakers, and we ran into a boy and his mother who attended our church. The boy was my age, but went to a different school than me. He was upset because his mother wouldn't buy him the new Air Jordans; "For that price, I could buy groceries for an entire 2 weeks", she said. Here I am 20 years later, and I completely understand where she was coming from. Too bad that some weeks, I'd rather starve.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home