Snippets from Science

Monday, September 11, 2006

You're on in 5

Well folks, it's been an eventful couple of days. It's not even 9 PM, and I'm already falling asleep. These past few days reminded me of being back in school: crazy rehearsal schedules paired with little sleep and vocal beatdowns. Ahhhh...those were the days.
Rather than bore you with mundane details, I'll highlight the, well, highlights:

At Sunday's Presidential service (which was on CNN), I saw the Pres and Mrs. Bush, Hillary Clinton, Karl Rove, former Mayor Guilani and Mayor Bloomberg. Did you know that the terms left and right wing date back to the British Parliament? I didn't know that. So, they were sitting on the appropriate sides of the church. Hillary on the left, and Bush on the wrong...oops! I mean right. Only kidding! The service wasn't really "touching", but we sang the shit outta the Pärt piece, 'Beatitudes'. If you're not familiar with Matthew 5-7, from which the Sermon on the Mount comes, it's pretty powerful stuff. This is the text to the 'Beautitudes'. Picture, if you can, being able to sing the following text while looking the President in the eye-

Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, 9 for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.
Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.

I'm not preaching a sermon of my own- but I think you get the picture. Quite a moving piece.

Yesterday's Good Morning America broadcast was cool- I left my apartment at 4:45 AM for a 6:00 AM call. Yes, we did a soundcheck at 6:00 AM, and surprisingly, notes came out. Not good ones, but notes. We sat around for a few hours, waiting for our 45 second spot; apparently, I was on camera for a total of 3-5 seconds. Awesome! More importantly, I totally stalked Sam Champion all morning, as he looks like a real life Ken doll. It was kind of hilarious/riducolous- there he was, broadcasting about the weather with images of 9/11 remembrance in the backgroud. How odd.
We also had a second service (and a third, but I didn't sing that one), which was also taped- it was probably on New York 1, but I don't think any other major networks were there.

Even though I wasn't in New York 5 years ago, I heard accounts of what happened that morning that were all too real. St. Paul's Chapel (where the broadcasts and services were taking place) sits directly in front of Ground Zero. Miraculously, it wasn't damaged during the attacks. It was dusty and dirty, but this historical structure remained standing, despite the amazing carnage and loss surrounding it. I think that's pretty amazing. Over the past few days, I've heard a rabbi,a Greek Orthodox priest, Catholic priests, a Muslim preacher, and of course several Anglican rectors speak . The message is universal- people are people- one nation, under God, with liberty and justice for ALL.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home