Snippets from Science

Monday, August 21, 2006

Bjorktastic

Last Friday night, I saw Bjorkestra, a 20-piece big band jazz ensemble that plays the music of Bjork. I'm assuming most of my readers are familiar with Bjork, but if not, google her and check that shiz out.
At any rate, Bjorkestra was pretty awesome. My friend Alissa's brother-in-law plays sax in the group, so when she invited me, I jumped at the chance to go. Apparently, Alissa said the last Bjorkestra show was sparsely attended. One would never guess that from Friday's packed house. They played a lot of Bjork favorites, including "Yoga", "Hyper Ballad", "Army of Me", and (the encore!) "It's Oh So Quiet". The singer was great too-she's obviously a trained jazz singer, and when I told her, "You have a very even sound- totally easy from top to bottom", she said "Wow! You must be a singer. That's a very singer-y thing to say." I told her I am, and I have a great deal of respect for her style. I'd love to be able to do that kind of stuff. But it's probably not in the cards.
Alright- back to unpacking my brand-spankin' new cubicle. Exciting, I know.

1 Comments:

  • OMG! My friend Travis heads the bjorkestra! I know him because he's Ruby's friend. I've only seen videos of the band - but they're really good. You should definitely tell Trav that you enjoyed the show...

    By Blogger George Lam, at 8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home