Snippets from Science

Friday, August 11, 2006

Astoria Represent

I really like my neighborhood. During Eliza's 2-day visit, she sang Astoria's praises as well, saying it reminded her a little bit of Italy: old men sitting in cafes drinking coffee and playing chess, the lack of English being spoken (which, at times, is annoying, but also charming), tiny shops selling one of each thing, and the cafe across the street from me that sells (heaven!!) lots of different Belgian beers. I can honestly say that I always feel safe in my neighborhood. It's mostly families and young professionals, and my street is always populated until the wee hours of the morning. Even during last night's monsoon (during which I was at the gym, so I was forced to literally run home), people made their way through the streets, with or without umbrellas, in a calm fashion.
On my way to the gym, I decided to stop in this tiny boutique that has caught my eye on several occasions. Mama doesn't have much extra money, but it never hurts to look, right? Candy Plum features clothing and accessories from FIT students, who live in Astoria. Many are one-of-a-kind items, and not terribly expensive! I purchased an adorable pair of earrings, for $16, as the owner told me that Candy Plum will be featured in an upcoming NYTimes article about local boutiques. Pretty cool, no?
More affordable and less pretentious than Billyburgh and SoHo, Candy Plum has some good offerings. Perhaps when my income triples, I'll be able to shop or live elsewhere. But until that time, Astoria represent!

2 Comments:

  • Hell yeah, Harlem Represent too! Uptown baby!

    By Blogger missnakia, at 7:34 AM  

  • i always thought that place looked really rad! at least i think that's the one...

    By Blogger Ratface, at 1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home