Snippets from Science

Thursday, August 03, 2006

Deep Pockets

I think we can all relate to this article about student load debt. She realizes that her educational choices were her own, saying "Yet I made my choices based on the values I had been taught -- that helping others is more important than making money for yourself, meaningful career is more important than net worth, and brains, determination, and charisma are the key ingredients of success. I realize now that I subscribed to the fantasy of an equal society, when in fact everyone's options arise from class, race, gender, and a thousand other subtle differences in our experiences, assumptions, and privileges."

Also- did you know that "the average debt at graduation in America is $19,300. In the United Kingdom, it's $16,000; in New Zealand, $9,600; in Germany, $7,000. Most countries require repayment only when a graduate earns a certain salary -- in the United Kingdom, it's $28,000. In Germany, it's $14,500 -- but students enjoy a five-year grace period, subsidies for good grades, and forgiveness on all loans above $12,500. Sweden's grace period is three years, Holland's is two, and most countries in Europe forgive student loans after 15-25 years."

Amazing. Simply. amazing. I'm totally honest when I say that my desire to move to Europe increases more and more every day.

1 Comments:

  • I guess this proves that I'm 5 times the average man!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home