Snippets from Science

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

The Big Payoff?

My friend Jonathan told me that if you want to succeed, you have to double your failure rate (Thomas Watson, Sr.). It makes perfect sense- think about how many applications we send out for auditions. First, we must apply to get an audition. Then, if granted an audition, we try out along with many other qualified singers for maybe 1 available slot. It's all very daunting, and the rejection letters pour in, we get irritated, and then we do it all over again. Why? Because we have to. You will not be successful at anything unless you are willing to accept failure. 9.5 times out of 10, you ain't gonna get the gig- no matter what it is. Job, singing or not, you will always have competition.
That being said, I've done several auditions for church jobs since moving. I like having a church job for several reasons. 1) I like singing in the Episcopal church. (4 out of the 5 places I've auditioned are Episcopal). 2) I need the money. 3) It keeps me singing on a weekly basis, because we all know how tough it is to practice after a long day of work/commuting/gym/extreme heat or cold. 4) I like the social aspect of meeting other competent musicians and knowing that we are all gathered to make some good music because we can. Plus, all of the auditions I have done were scheduled due to networking. Don't burn any bridges, folks! And keep in touch with as many musicians as you can. (I know I don't have to tell you all this, but it never hurts to be reminded.)
Well it looks like my work is paying off, as I am doing my first subbing gig this Sunday. This is by no means a big deal, but it's a start. And it's at a church where I am fairly confident I will be hired. It can and will be done.

4 Comments:

  • way to go!!!! Yeah, I'm jumping on the episcopalian church job bandwagon this fall, too. But kudos for getting a job in NEW YORK, the mecca of impossible to secure church jobs!

    By Blogger Jessica, at 11:12 AM  

  • And that is the reason, Hilary, why I know that you are bound for greatness in this business. Now I understand why Aunt Pete tells me to listen to you. It is because you know your stuff.

    By Blogger missnakia, at 11:16 AM  

  • you know you don't want to practice after a day of doing nothing/laying around/just drinking and watching tv.

    By Blogger Ratface, at 10:24 PM  

  • Anyone need an alto? I can even sing high tenor!!

    By Blogger Shannon, at 7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home