Snippets from Science

Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Smallness Continues

After last night's performance of Rigoletto in the park, the amazingness of New York being the biggest small place in the world hit me in the face once again. Nakia and I enjoyed the evening with Rebecca and her boyfriend, along with some other random people her boyfriend knows. After Mark Delavan rocked out his last note (he, along with the Sparafucile were the highlights of the performance), we set out to trapse our way back to the subway. Upon leaving the park, Rebecca's boyfriend made his way to an entirely different group of friends, to bid them goodnight. While he was talking with a very drunk man, I realized I knew this guy. Even though he now has a beard, and was swaggering from the wine, I totally recognized him as a former piano student of my mother's, and a former euphonium student of my dad's. In Central Park. Out of 15,000 people. And I see Steve- a guy from Hanover with whom I grew up and performed. What are the chances?
Pretty good, actually. This is the second time in 3 weeks I've run into someone from my past by complete random coincidence. After telling Steve who I am (apparently I look way different, although I don't think I do), he was screaming and yelling about how shocked he was to see me. He then proceeded to tell me that my parents played a gigantic role in his musical life (he's a Harvard grad), and that my father was one of the key figures in shaping his life as a musician. Pretty awesome, no?
Apprently Steve lives in Murray Hill (lucky bitch), and insisted that I come over and hang out. One more person in New York that makes this place not feel so huge.

1 Comments:

  • Oooh I love Mark Delavan. I got to meet him last year when I did the gig at Lyric. His voice gives me the shivers!

    By Blogger midwest princess, at 9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home