Snippets from Science

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Date Nights

About once a month, I invite my friend Bucket over for dinner. Not only do I love his company, but I also feel a little bad for him because he doesn't really cook, and he's short on cash. So I like to have him over for some home cookin', because I know that always makes me feel better. So last night, Bucket came over for meat loaf and sweet potatoes, and so did our friend Soren. It was a regular dinner party, complete with three bottles of wine (that are all gone), and adult conversation that was moved from the dining table to the "living room area". It was fun- it made me feel comfortable and grown up. Cut to tonight.
Tonight I have a date, about which I do not feel all that comfortable or grown up. It's nothing against the gentleman- I hardly know him. (Sort of the point of going on a date, no?) I've had a few dates since moving to New York, and I get super nervous and feel like I'm 12 years old before every single one of them. I really don't like going out on "blind dates". (Even though this isn't a blind date, it may as well be.) I feel an extreme amount of pressure, even though I put no eggs in any baskets. We are going to see/hear (?) a DJ tonight, since the lucky guy I'm seeing tonight happens to be a DJ himself. I asked Robert if he thought this sounded like a strange idea for a first date, and he said no. "Anything besides coffee or drinks always sounds like a good idea to me." I agreed. So Robert has advised me on what I should wear, and reminded me that it IS Thursday, so I can stay out later tonight than I would on a Monday. Not that I go out Mondays. But I could if I wanted to!
So we'll see. At a time when most people with whom I grew up are married and are now starting families, I'm concerned about which heels I should wear with my white jacket. Or should I go with the black velvet? Nah...still a little warm for velvet.

3 Comments:

  • another perfect first date, as we know now, is snakes on a plane.

    By Blogger Robert, at 11:27 AM  

  • Lady, you are wonderful the way you are. Why worry about other people being married and having babies and stuff? They will be dealing with nasty diapers, mortgages, staying in on Saturday nights, and eating lukewarm bland food. You, on the other hand, are worry about what heels to wear with your date outfit, and where to go, and what hot guy to take with you.

    Call me crazy but I think you have the better end of the deal.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 AM  

  • no velvet before labor day, Hilary.

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home