Snippets from Science

Thursday, July 06, 2006

To the Roots

Last night I had dinner with my semi-famous singer friend, James. Most of you know about James from his appearance in Opera News, and from his debut at Wolf Trap. And, of course, his dreamboat status doesn't allow one to forget that he's easy on the eyes.
At any rate, I hadn't seen James in two years. I guess when one bounces around the globe, singing in Germany, Italy, Austria, Japan, and the US, free time is a bit of an issue. Nonetheless, James decided to take this summer off so he can relax and spend time with family and friends before his globetrotting starts again the in fall. He will be making his NYC Opera debut in the fall, in Boheme of course, and I'm pleased to say that there will be a huge WVU contingent to represent. After that, I think he's off to Germany, Belgium, Germany again, the States, and Canada. Not too shabby.
I joked with James, asking him if Opera News would be at the restaurant to take photographs. He just laughed and said, "That was 2 years ago!" No but seriously, where are the photographers? I'm wearing a cute outfit on purpose.
We talked about WVU days, friends, family, career, food, drink, etc. I sort of felt like I was interviewing him- I asked him all about where he stays when he's singing in Hamburg, and what his castmates are like, and whether or not he knows Renee Fleming. (To which he responded, "Oh yeah! She's great. I know her pretty well, actually. I went to a birthday party not too long ago, and we were seated beside each other. She's really sweet. Oh, and she lives on Central Park South.") Of course she does!
Another GREAT point that James made was the fact that perserverance is key in this business. I told him that so many singers I know (listen up you guys!) get deflated when the rejection letter comes, or go into an audition with a bad attitude. He agreed that a dreary outlook reads all over one's face, and that a positive outlook is really the only way to go. "They can read your body language. Even if you think they aren't paying attention, they are." A-greed. He also said that even at his professional level, rejection is a still a fact. "I don't always get every job. I audition for many things, and don't even get a second look. It's never totally easy, at any level." I think that's a great piece of mind.
So I look forward to his City Opera debut, where I can act like a proud parent while bawling through 'Che gelida manina'. Oh, and he's single, ladies!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home