Snippets from Science

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

C U in Hell

I've really grown to hate the text message. For the first year of having a cell phone, I didn't even know what a text message was, until one day my phone made a strange "Bits 'n Bytes" noise, and boom- a text message. Now, granted, the text message is great for short bits of information, like "Be there soon" or "Thanks again!" or "Wanna make out?" But long sentences or entire paragraphs? No. Text messages are so impersonal; moreso than emails or instant messages. "At least then you have a keyboard", my boss says.
I've never really been a fan of the text message, but my recent hate for it grew out of a "relationship" I had that seems to have ended...in a text message. I use the quotations because I don't know how to name what exactly was going on with "Kevin." (I do, however, know how to name Kevin, but I won't name exact names.) We had been seeing each other for a little over a month, with the text message being his preferred method of communication. At first, I didn't mind. I told myself that maybe he was working, or in a loud place where talking on the phone would be difficult. But when I could count on one hand the number of times he actually called me, I started to get irritated. It became pretty clear that not only were the text messages the only way he would get in touch with me, but they were also the only form of communication he would answer. I left many voicemails for him- never returned phone calls. Emails? Yeah- he responded when we first started seeing each other, but as the weeks progressed, my inbox remained empty.
The text message disgust reached its pinnacle when plans with him (yet again) were foiled, and the last attempt at communication was indeed a text message. "Honestly", I thought to myself, "I guess actually speaking to me on the phone is just too much work. Either that, or he realizes that he's in the wrong here and doesn't want to hear the disappointment in my voice. Or, he's a completely oblivious boy (wouldn't be the first time), and is easily distracted by whatever is going on around him." Whatever the case may be, the text message pretty much sealed the deal for me and Kevin.
So the next time you're thinking of sending a breezy message to someone, make sure they are down with the text. Otherwise, this impersonal and time-wasting method of communication will be all in vain.

3 Comments:

  • my favorite:

    "heard u were in the hospital. was so worried about u!"

    um, hello, if you're so worried then pick up the fucking phone.

    By Blogger Robert, at 12:59 PM  

  • boys are dumb. (no offense meant, robert)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:26 PM  

  • I AM WITH YA

    By Blogger Jessica, at 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home