Snippets from Science

Friday, June 30, 2006

House Hunters

I like to look at real estate. I like to watch HGTV. I like to think that someday in the not-TOO-distant future that I will be a home owner; think being the key word. As of now, I have no real savings, I have no real way of saving money, and my primary focus is my career. So why am I partially obsessed with the thought of owning a nice house with a nice yard with nice furniture, and art, and appliances?
I love New York. There really is no other place I'd rather be right now, at this point in my life. But, after living here for 3 months, I can honestly say I don't see myself living my entire life in Gotham. It's so big, so full, so busy, so colorful, so expensive, and so...much. Living in New York City is a lifestyle. It's a one-of-a-kind place; there's no other city like New York.
So I look at houses. I look at homes for sale in the North East and laugh. There's no way in hell I could ever afford my ideal home. Then I look at homes for sale in Austin, Tx. Why Austin? 'Cause it's one of the very few cities for which I would leave the East Coast. It's a great town with a great appreciation for the arts, and with affordable property. What's more, I look at these houses and say out loud to myself, "Oh that carpet would have to be pulled. And the kitchen needs new flooring and new cabinets. The living room is a good size, but that wall could be knocked down to create a great open space. Oh, the master bedroom is a good size, but I'd get rid of that wall color." And so on and so forth.
Maybe my homeowner envy stems from the fact that a lot of my friends are either married, engaged, living together and practically engaged, or- the most recent news- trying to get pregnant. Since I am far from being married or cohabiting, and even farther from becoming a mom (although my desire to be a dog owner drastically increases daily), I play house by looking at houses. It could be worse.

2 Comments:

  • check out savannah, ga too - i watched that hgtv show last night on what you can get for $150,000... amazing! mortgage is cheaper than rent! or, you could come to canada with us - they have "artist condos", downtown toronto, next to the brand new opera center for $45,000. 2 bed, 2 bath. yeah, that's right.

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:13 AM  

  • When I move back to the states, I will be looking at houses again. If you want, you are more than welcome to help. I hate doing it- we have moved too often for it to be really fun.

    I am looking forward to buying a house too, though. It would be nice to not throw money out the door every month for rent.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home