Snippets from Science

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Firecracker, Firecracker, Boom boom boom

I'm sitting on the couch, in the air conditioning, watching the Macy's fireworks, but also hearing the Macy's fireworks. It's sort of strange. It looks like a lot of fun- there are a lot happy Americans watching this huge display- apparently they don't mind the humidity. I do.
I spent my July 4th untraditionally watching the Germany/Italy match (and I'm pissed btw- both England and Germany are now out. Now I have to root for France.) The beer garden was packed with many many people- Germans, Italians, and we Americans who wish we were European. Or, at least, know that Europe has cooler sports. The beer flowed, the kielbasa sizzled, and Nikki, Ryan, and I sweated through both overtimes and left- exhausted. Now, I never really have any specific plans for July 4th. Some people are always at the beach on the 4th, or always have a party, or always go to the same BBQ, but not me. When I was a kid, the most we ever did was buy sparklers and light those in the backyard before going to the high school to see the fireworks. (There was a decent view from the high school and you didn't have to fight the crowd at Moul Field.)
But for some reason, I felt particularly homesick today. I don't know if it's the anticipation of going home in a few weeks, to a nice, quiet place where there aren't 100 people in every direction at all times; or seeing all the families together on TV; or sitting in the air conditioning while watching TV. My parents live in an old house, where there is no central A/C. So I grew up with window units, and usually, we only turned on the window unit in the dining room. So when it was really hot, we'd all sit in the living room, watching TV or playing games or whatever, enjoying the cold before trekking upstairs to the hot bedrooms. As little kids, Ashley and I shared a bedroom in the summer because I was the one with the window unit. That's when the F.G. was invented... But that's another story.
So I'm looking forward to going back to Hanover in a few weeks. I remember Jonathan telling me that sometimes when he's in Hanover, it's hard for him to want to come back to New York. When he told me that, I thought he was crazy. (I was still in Balto.) But now I know what he means.

1 Comments:

  • get out and watch the fireworks jerk!! go on the roof

    By Blogger Ratface, at 7:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home