Snippets from Science

Thursday, September 29, 2005

G' head girl, go onn get down

I went over to Robert's last night for a little Miami Ink action (what is fun about watching people get tattooed for an hour? I dunno...but we watch it every week), and upon entering the apartment, I heard rap. At first I thought it was a car driving by outside, or Robert's neighbors. But then I realized it was coming from his computer. Rap, R&B, call it what you want- Robert was listening to it. I think the only time I've seen Robert listen to rap is at a straight bar, and that hardly counts as listening. More like just drowning out the horrible Steves and Stephanies in the background. Nonetheless, he was listening to the new Kanye West single, "Gold Digger". It's actually a pretty kick-ass song. The lyrics are hilarious, and the beat is bumpin. (Wow...I don't think I could be any whiter. If I hadn't lived with Nakia for 3 years and earned my honorary black girl card, I'd get my ass kicked right now.) I heard "Gold Digger" while visiting Danno, and at first, wasn't sure what to think. But as far as rap goes, Danno has good taste, so I went with it. And I liked it. I like it. I think I might download it myself. That, along with some Aesop Rock, is the only R&B I've ever downloaded. Oh and the Black Album..I still have a little crush on Jay-Z. So there...consider me, a self-proclaimed rock snob, more well-rounded.

4 Comments:

  • ha ha "steves and stephanies"...

    hmm maybe I should check out this single also.

    and.. isn't there a difference between rap and R&B?

    By Blogger George Lam, at 9:09 AM  

  • ahem.
    rap, i think, is mainly like word-based whereas r&b is a little more sing-y.

    snoop dog = rap
    aaliyah (or however you spell it, god rest her soul) = r&b

    oh, and hilary, you forgot my secret obsession with lil' kim.

    By Blogger Robert, at 9:51 AM  

  • Honestly, George I don't know. SO I asked Jeeves, and this is what I found:
    In R&B, the artists sing and play music.

    In Rap, the so-called artist mumbles over a beatbox, synth loop or a real artist's recording.

    I think that sounds about right. NOW..where does Hip Hop come into play? That's my question.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 9:55 AM  

  • isn't hip hop the old school stuff? and actually much better? i dont think they rap about bitches and spending their money on escalades as much...

    By Blogger Ratface, at 10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home