Snippets from Science

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Bouncin Back

After a night of drunken fun with Dan, wasted-saltine-and-peanut-butter eating, and forgetting to lock my front door, I still managed to wake up at 7:30 this morning. It's funny; I set my alarm every morning so I won't be late getting up for work, yet my internal alarm clock never fails. I can usually go back to sleep for a half hour at a time, and then I just get up...I feel like sleeping in wastes my day. Apparently I'm 45.
Seriously, I like getting up on Saturday mornings. I go to the farmers market (although I didn't go this morning b/c I am too lazy), and if I feel I can treat myself (which I did this morning, even though I consumed 392830428 calories in all that peanut butter last night), I go to my favorite neighborhood coffee shop, and get meself a muffin and coffee. I walked down to the coffee shop this morning, and saw several young dads playing with their kids on the front lawns of their gorgeous homes. I saw several people walking their dogs while sipping lattes, and more parents pushing their babies in strollers. When I arrived at the coffee shop, the place was packed (as it always is), and the line was 10 people deep. I pushed past the hippies and fake poetry types and ordered my muffin and coffee. On the walk home, I saw more people- runners, walkers, dogs....my Saturday morning contingent!

So maybe most twentysomethings are still sleeping off the previous night, waking up in a hungover haze before stumbling to the couch where they will spend the better part of the afternoon. And maybe part of me wishes I could still do that- like in college. Does this mean I'm turning into my parents, who wake up at 6:30 every day of the week, regardless of what they actually have to do? Coffee, paper, have the living room cleaned by 8 AM?
No...I'm not quite there yet. I've got at least another 10 years before I can no longer bounce back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home