Snippets from Science

Friday, August 26, 2005

School Days

I usually don't get too nostalgic for grade school, but hearing a co-worker talk about her soon-to-be-freshman daughter reminded me of my first day of high school.
I wore a mauve and cream-colored floral sundress, with a cream tee shirt underneath, and blue-plaid Vans. I carried my army rucksack, complete with a "Primus" patch, and my hair was crazy and usual...but darker. I was very nervous, but excited. I didn't go to a large school- there were only something like 420 kids total- 98 in my graduating class. (98 graduating in 98- curious.) Anyway, I was more nervous about seeing Ian, my next door neighbor, and all of his cool skater friends. They all knew my older brother, Steve, and I wanted them to think I was cool too. So, that first day, I walked into school, down the long hall way to my home room, and right past Ian & company. Ian said hello, as did a few other boys, and the cute one (Corey) smiled. "Cool Shoes" said Corey. "Thanks!" I think I said thanks, anyway. I don't really remember...I was too busy being elated that upperclassmen spoke to me one my first day of high school.
High school wasn't a bad experience for me, as it was for so many other people. I always loved going shopping for school supplies and preparing my backpack the night before school started. What outfit was I going to wear? In fact, I think I picked out my outfits for the entire first week, every year.
Ahhhh memories. Whatever- I'd still rather be back in college.

6 Comments:

  • how ironic--i wore a floral sundress with a cream t-shirt underneath on my first day of freshman year, too!

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:53 AM  

  • i'd really like some pictures of this day up here

    By Blogger Ratface, at 8:11 AM  

  • i remember my first high school dance. it was the frosh - soph mixer held in the courtyard. i wore a maroon silk shirt (that's right, a silk shirt) that would've fit jared before he lost 350 lbs on the subway diet and khakis with about 13 pleats. i went with laura (she's on my friendster page) - god have mercy on her soul for showing up at the dance with such a wreck. afterwards, i found out that silk shirts weren't ever in style so i made silk boxers. with 13 pleats

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 AM  

  • Terry, I am having the best mental picture of you in that dance outfit. PLEASE tell me there is a picture somewhere of that.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 11:56 AM  

  • prolly somewhere at my parent's house. does your mental picture have a brown weaved belt in it? how bout a bowl or mushroom haircut? cause it should.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:18 PM  

  • terry, i nearly just peed myself laughing at the thought of you and a bowl cut. look out!

    By Blogger Hilary, at 3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home