Snippets from Science

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Step Back

I always get really annoyed when I am walking down the hallway/sidewalk/mall/parking lot/whatever and the person walking behind me is on my heels. Flashbacks of Scooby Doo (the ghost is gaining on us, Scoob!) run through my head. What is the deal? I am not a slow walker, and I'm in good shape, so I walk at a decent rate. But on the other hand, I don't sprint down the sidewalk, only to rush to an elevator for which I have to wait. That's right...most of the time, these overly-excited-fast-walkers rush past me, only to wait for an elevator. If you're so quick, Mr. Fast-Walking-Heel-Stepper, then why don't you take the stairs?
One time, I was walking into my building at work, and the girl who was walking behind me was so close, that she literally RAN INTO ME when I bent down to tie my shoe. There was plenty of space on the sidewalk- it's not like we were exiting a New York Subway car at Times Square, 5 PM. But she ran into me, and was all flustered and apologetic, before darting off to do some experiments. I wanted to say, Hey..slow down! The lab will still be there in 30 seconds.

So..when walking behind someone you think is passable, do the right thing- pass on the left or right, at a reasonable rate. Don't tailgate- it's REALLY annoying. And that goes for driving too.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home