Snippets from Science

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Hobo Camp

Finding a new apartment can be fun- if you're not me. My recent search for a two bedroom apartment, with a 9 month or month-to-month least option, has been less than a success and has become VERY frustrating. Why this less-than-a-year lease need, you ask? Because I am moving to the Big Apple next spring. Then I'll really be a starving artist!
I have lived in Baltimore for three years, in 2 different great apartments. I had to move out of the first apartment because I could no longer afford the rent. And now, I'm bascially moving for the same reason. That, and because my baby sister is moving down to Bawl'mer to try her hand at city livin.
I've been making phone calls almost daily for the last month, searching for an affordable place, with modest ammenities (CAC is a must) that is close enough to where I need to be. You think I can find someone who is willing to rent to a young professional with good credit who pays her bills on time, AND has 2 college degrees? That's a no. "No, sorry...we only have year-long leases". "No, sorry...I'd rather rent to a poor college student who will ultimately sublet it out over the summer." "No sorry...I'm looking for someone to sign a 2-year lease." What the hell? I'm good for it, people.
I know what it's like to live in an absolute shithole. Case in point, my senior year of college- my house CAUGHT ON FIRE. I was homeless for several days, forced to spend the remaining three months of my undergraduate career in University SHOEBOX housing, and having to throw out a good deal of my belongings, due to smoke damage. I went from that to a gorgeous, huge city apartment, complete with CAC, W/D, diswasher, and my own bathroom. Purty fancy.
So the frustrating hunt continues. I know I'll find SOMETHING. I have to...or else I'll have to live out of the POD I rent for my things. So all you landlords out there pay attention. I don't want to be homeless again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home