Snippets from Science

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

In a hurry

Europeans do something fabulous- mitags pause; siesta; break! Most businesses close from noon to 2:00 or 3:00, so the shopkeepers can take time eating lunch, take a nap, or just generally relax. I spent a summer in Salzburg, Austria and LOVED this concept. In between opera rehearsals, we strolled down the River Salz, ate leisurely lunches, and browsed store windows. It was exactly what we needed.
I don't think America will ever adpot this custom. We are bred to go, go, go, and then go some more. It's no wonder we have an obesity epidemic, heart disease, high blood pressure, and a thousand other stress-related dieseases. Our lives are hectic and fast-paced.
Although I long for a two-hour break in my work day, I also have to admit that A) I am an East-Coaster: born and raised, and B) Subscribe to the fast-pace lifestyle of this country. I spent six years in higher learning institutions, where I had (in undergrad) no less than 20 credits per semester, on top of rehearsals, recitals, performances, auditions, and other gigs. My life was crazy! I was so busy and occupied that taking two hours for a midday break would have been immposible. As a result, I am impatient. I hate waiting in long lines, I hate traffic, I hate walking behind someone in a store who, apparently, has all the time in the world. I hate waiting at Rite Aid for a perscription to be filled, when I am the only person at the counter! And, as ONE person whose name I will not mention pointed out (*Ahem* a chef *Ahem*), I have road rage.
I plan on living my life on the East Coast, and (hopefully) Europe. I know when I arrive across the pond, adjusting to the lifestyle will take some time, but it will be soooo welcomed. But as for now, pick up the pace! I don't have all day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home