Snippets from Science

Monday, May 23, 2005

Selective Hearing

I hate it when I'm talking to someone and they are obviously not paying attention to what I am saying. Now, I am guilty of this myself- sometimes I encouter someone who talks just to hear him or herself talk, and I tune it out. Or sometimes, if my Mom is repeating the same story or instructions, I politely nod and say " mhmm"...even though I'm looking at the Spring edition of the JCPenny cataologue.
But when someone is telling me a story or bit of information that is worth being important enough to tell, I listen. And I rarely forget. I wish I could say that my re-laying of information is processed the same way, but it's not. I have told people/friends/family members stories, plans, places I'll be, and countless times, they don't listen. Then I have to hear "I didn't know that...you didn't tell me." Or, "Oh...yeah..how's that going?", or "Oh really? I didn't know you were doing that." But you did...or you would have known- had you been listening.
Nothing in particular made me write this entry, so I don't want any friends to think I'm calling them out. It's just a general thought, and something I'm sure we all experience. So the next time someone (you feel like listening to) is talking to you, do them the courtesy of listening- because if you're not listening, they'll stop telling you things.

1 Comments:

  • i was reading this just now and being like, "did i piss hilary off on instant messenger?"

    By Blogger Robert, at 7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home