Snippets from Science

Monday, January 14, 2008

Convenient

I have a crush on my neighbor. I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing. It's not a "oh my God, every time I see him my heart skips a beat" kind of crush, or a "I'm listening at the top of the staircase to see who's coming in because I've memorized the sound of his footsteps" stalking, errr I mean crush. It's just a simple "I think he's incredibly nice, cute, and has the whitest teeth of anyone I know", kind of crush. I should at this time mention that this is a wonderful example of why I don't write as often I as I used to- I'm certain I would be rather embarrassed if he googled my name (helLO- he's totally doing that) and found this post, where I admit to having a crush on him, making the next time we run into each other at C-Town or on the stairs awkward. But what the hell- I'm bored and felt like updating.

I should start out by saying I have 3 neighbors. Actually, I have 4, but in the 6 months that I've lived in this apartment, I've never seen the dude who lives in the one bedroom. Not once. So, I don't really include him in my neighbor descriptions. Anyway, the 3 guys who live below me are all surprisingly wonderful. I say surprisingly because you really never know what you're in for when it comes to neighbors. Ashley and I lived next to 2 dudes who we thought seemed pretty cool (and whose cat we often saw on the balcony), but they were NEVER home, and when they were, we never really spoke. My last neighbor in Astoria presumably gave us bed bugs, so there's that, and as far as neighbors in other Baltimore complexes go, well- I can't really say much of anything. It wasn't very social. So, that being said, the first time I knocked on their door out of distress, Cute Neib. NO. 1 dropped what he was doing to come help me out, and told me never to hesitate asking for help. He also said that I should come down and hang out sometime when I'm not in dire need of assistance. They all individually know what me and my roommates do for a living, and actually ask about our goings on; they always invite us when they are having a party, and if things get a little loud, they always apologize the next day and make sure things are kosher. 3 single 20-something dudes who are just genuinely nice? Perhaps that's why I have a crush. Well, that and the teeth.

I will probably never find out if he realizes just how convenient our fake hooking up would be. Besides, I'm off to the Great North this weekend to visit Andrea and co., and to see a boy. Right now he's part of the "co", but who knows- maybe he'll turn out to be as excited about me as I am aboot him.

Time for bed. But fist, I have to put my ear to the floor to see if my neighbor is still awake...

4 Comments:

  • um, whiter than phong's teeth? i think that she should have a blind teeth-test, where we put masks on both of them, only exposing their teeth, then spin them around a bunch of times so that we forget which one of them is which. you with me?

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:03 AM  

  • Agreed. But Phong is yellow and neighbor is black.

    WE WILL KNOW, ROBERT. WE WILL KNOW.

    By Blogger Hilary, at 6:25 AM  

  • i guess us white dudes are screwed....

    or not as the case may be eh..

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:26 PM  

  • I appreciate that you have a crush on me, but I really don't consider us neighbors...I mean, I live in Manhattan and you live in Brooklyn.

    Plus, I'm engaged, so I'm not sure how this would work. But I am flattered. Really.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home