Snippets from Science

Monday, October 08, 2007

If you see something, say something

I don't consider myself jaded, but I have definitely seen more out-of-the-ordinary things in the last year and a half than ever before in my life. I won't go into detail about the less-than-desirable substances I've seen/almost stepped or sat in/woken up to...you get the point. Most of the time, I just roll my eyes and remember that some people are savage, no matter how urban the setting. This morning, however, I wasn't rolling my eyes.

I caught the 1 just before the doors closed, and was able to grab a seat. I noticed the man sitting across from me was eating chips, and spilling them all over the place, staring creepily at me with each chomp. Judging by his open-mouth chewing and the glazed look on his face, I thought he might be "ill". More and more chips fell, and he finally dropped the bag and his empty coffee cup as well. Now, there is already so much trash in this city- I can't stand it when people treat the ground as a landfill. I almost said something to him about dropping his shit, when I noticed that he was totally- and I mean totally- exposed. I started to freak out a little, and then wonder if anyone else saw it. He wasn't exactly concealing it. He couldn't stop staring at every woman on the train, so I'm sure I wasn't the only uncomfortable one. Thankfully, I switched cars at the next stop, hoping to alert an MTA worker, but no one was in sight.

Here's the thing- how does one even GET there? Like, when exactly did he unzip and let loose? As soon as he sat down? How did no one else see it, or say anything? Then, when he does get off of the train, how does he put it away without anyone noticing? I suppose if he's that deranged, he's probably not concerned about anyone seeing the zip-up.

Yet another reason why I'll never raise a kid in New York City.

1 Comments:

  • that's an amazing story. i, too feel the rage of people littering/picking their noses on transit. i thought i had a pretty good death stare, but it never works. haven't seen a willie yet, though.
    awil

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home