Snippets from Science

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

NKOTB

Moving always makes me feel a little strange. Even when I changed apartments in college, and especially in Baltimore, I always needed time to adjust. I remember when Nakia and I had to leave our gorgeous Cathedral St. abode- seriously the nicest apartment I've ever had and will probably ever have. I was bummed. Even though we were only moving 3 blocks away, to Waterloo WITH Eliza and a swimming pool, I was still sad. Eliza was in Florida for the first month or so of our relocation, and Nakia was way busy working. I remember feeling really sad and out of place as I struggled to assemble my bed that first night. Dan had come over for a bit, and suggested I move my bed from one wall to the other- to create a better flow in the room. After summer opera had finished, I started working a terrible temp job- from which I would soon be fired- and I came home every day wishing I lived on Cathedral St. again. Not because it was a gorgeous apartment (MAN I loved that apartment), but because when I lived there, I was still in school. When I lived there, I didn't think about where rent was coming from (I'm paying for that now), or if I'd have time to practice, or how I was going to afford my gym membership. I was still naive to the "real world". Sometimes, I still wish I lived on Cathedral St.

It's my first night in Brooklyn, and even though I know the neighborhood pretty well, I still feel like a visitor. Like it's time for me to get on the R, then transfer to the N to get home in an hour. Instead, I AM home. I ate dinner at great sandwich shop where I have dined several times before, and I took my time walking home, stopping to sit and read a bit, checking out my new neighbors. It's not quite Cathedral St., but it's home for now.

2 Comments:

  • yes, the apartment was nice. don't forget, in the haze of memory, that there were MALE PROSTITUTES walking up and down that block and they would keep you up at night. so it's maybe not the NICEST place you'll ever live...

    By Blogger Robert, at 6:19 AM  

  • That cathedral street apartment was rockin! I miss it too. I can't believe you are the way in Brooklyn. Oh well, at least I don't have to pay a toll to drive to your house now. That's pretty sweet.

    By Blogger missnakia, at 6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home