Snippets from Science

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Hoo-ah

I've decided to apply for an audition with the Army Field Band Soldier's Chorus. I'm not getting on my high horse here, but I'm assuming that means I'll be granted an audition for the Chorus. Why the Army, you ask? I'll tell you why. I love New York. I love living here. I love being immersed in everything- the culture, the way of life, the diversity, the food, the drink, the fun- there is no other place like New York. What I don't love is the cost of living. What I don't love is working a job that pays just enough for me to not starve, but leaves very little wiggle room. I'm 27, and I don't have any idea how I would ever purchase a house or be financially secure when I retire. That's not good.

So, in order to achieve my goal of moving to Germany in several years, I decided to look at the Soldier's Chorus as an option. Here's the basic rundown: 3 years of service, student loan debt absolved, possible generous signing bonus, good pay which would allow me to save money, housing stipend, food stipend, no combat, no moving around, oh, and getting paid to sing.

New York is a wonderful place, full of opportunity, but it's next to impossible to maintain a career here without doing something else to supplement one's income. I don't want to sit behind a desk for the next 25 years. I don't want to be an administrative assistant for the next 25 years. I have worked too hard and spent too much money to settle. So, Germany is on the horizon. However, spending time in Europe is not cheap. Having all of my student loan debt paid off, and money in the bank, is ideal. With the Army gig, I could do that.

Annnnnnnnnywayyyyyyyyyyyy, there are a lot of "ifs" floating around this audition, but just to gain a piece of mind, I've been reading a lot about basic training; in particular, the gas chamber. It looks like this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Yikes. Nine weeks of hell, I mean boot camp, is daunting, but when I think about the financial freedom that accompanies the insanity, it seems kind of worth it. Of course, putting up with bullshit like this would be a HUGE test, but I'm pretty sure that's what basic training is- a giant exam.

So, check back in a few months to see if my tune has changed. But right now, I keep humming The Army Goes Rolling Along.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home