Snippets from Science

Monday, July 16, 2007

Overhaulin

I'm switching boroughs. Since I spend a lot of time in Brooklyn, I think it makes sense for me to live there. In particular, Park Slope. Park Slope gets a lot of shit for being yuppy, baby-filled, and expensive. All of those things are true. But, I still want to live there. You may recall my Monday night ritual of playing bocce ball- in Park Slope. I've grown to really love the neighborhood, and I feel a sense of community there that is hard for me to feel in Astoria. So, onward and upward, I say.
Looking for an apartment in New York is stupid and ridiculous. Robert, Amanda, and I didn't find our place in Queens until 2 weeks before we relocated. I have no idea why real estate continues to be as cut throat and crazy as it is, but it ain't changin' anytime soon, despite everyone's hatred of the system. I've been looking at apartments for a few weeks (3 bedrooms, as I will be moving in with your favorite Scot and mine and another friend), and I am more than a little frustrated. First of all, 3 bedroom apartments in Park Slope/Prospect Heights are really hard to find- espeically in our price range. I've seen 5 apartments so far, only one of them being a possibility, and all were gone a day after I viewed them. I've had brokers call me the day I'm supposed to view a place, telling me it's already gone- even though it's only been advertised for 5 hours. Ugh. I know that's the way the market works, but damn! Should I start bringing a knife to these open houses? I'm not afraid to take someone out for a nice apartment. KIDDING. Kidding. Sort of.

So now that the recital is done (it went well, by the way),I can focus on finding a place to live. That is, after I get out of work at 6:30 every night this week, go home to visit my family this weekend, and somehow start packing. I need a personal assistant.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home