Snippets from Science

Monday, May 28, 2007

Blue polka dot bikini

I've never owned a bikini. The closest I've come to exposing my torso to the light of day has been in a tankini. Safe enough to cover the wobbly bits, but cute enough to get a peek at the tummy/back.

A few days ago, Ryan and I played bocce in central park. There were lots of sunbathers, most of whom were wearing bikinis- some looking fierce, and some looking not so fierce. Noticing one of these less-than-ideal (or would it be more-than-ideal?) bikini-clad gals, I said, "If someone like her can get away with wearing a bikini, why can't I?" Ryan said, "Well, there is one of two reasons why she's wearing a two piece: A) she's not aware of the fact that she's, well, too fat for it or B) She just doesn't give a shit." I said, "True. And you know what? I kind of admire the not giving a shit thing." Ryan said, "Good point. Although because she doesn't give a shit, we still have to look at it."

Touche.

Well, I decided that I don't really give a shit either. Luckily, I'm not as...how should I say this...umm..ok, "curvy" as the girl in Central Park. So I bought my first bikini. Since I pretty much hate wearing a bathing suit in the first place, I figured what the hell? I don't look as terrible as I thought I would, and give me a couple of days to look less like a piece of chalk, and I think I'll be OK. Besides, Ashley and I will be too concerned with acting like 12 year olds in the swimming pool than cruising for douchebags. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, right?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home