Snippets from Science

Monday, December 18, 2006

Maybe 1 more sit-up, or 2. 1 or 2.

Saturday night, I saw the Parsons Dance Company perform at the Joyce theater. A friend of mine has season tickets to the theater, and invited me along for the last performance of the season. I used to be a dancer- many years ago- so I was pretty jazzed.
Parsons is a modern dance company, and to be honest, I'm not the BIGGEST fan of modern as opposed to ballet, but I digress. The show was impressive to say the least, with some of the hardest bodies I've ever seen in real life. Especially this dude. You can't really tell from that picture, but homeboy was r-i-p-p-e-d. Srsly. I've never seen someone in real life with that many muscles and no fat. It was pretty amazing. His big number was a piece called "Caught", which is based on strobe lighting. Basically, the idea is to leap when the light is on, and land when the light is off: the effect is floating. It literally looked like he was floating. And he was jumping 5 ft off the ground. It was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.
The rest of the performance was pretty great as well. After the show, my friend and I planned to have a drink, and as we walked past the theater, we saw some of the dancers leaving. My friend admitted to being a tiny bit star struck and wanted to ask them to join us for a beer.
"I guess they're just regular people", he said, "but how cool would that be to hang out with Parsons dancers?"
"Pretty sweet", I said. "Oh, and by the way, are you ready to audition for the company? I figured you'd be the next guy dancing 'Caught'."
"Totally. All I need to do is just 1 or 2 more situps- 1 or 2."

2 Comments:

  • hot. i have a friend who used to live with a bunch of dancers in New York. they're pretty crazy people, and they throw up a lot. that might have something to do with it. :)

    By Blogger Jessica, at 7:03 AM  

  • Hard bodied dancers....exactly why I want to be one--being in shape is just part of the job!

    By Blogger Phong, at 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home