Snippets from Science

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Short End of the Stick

Now, if you know me, you know I don't get too upset over rejection letters. What's the point? You never know what they are looking for, and 9.8 times out of 10, you ain't gonna get the job. So why waste time and energy crying over spilt milk?

That being said, I have a slight problem with audition times. First person of the day? Good luck. They are still waiting for the coffee to kick in and deciding which muffin looks best. Last person of the day? (like me last night). Terrible slot. They are tired and irritable, and they've already heard 25 sopranos. You might as well walk in topless and sing Hey Big Spender- that would be more memorable. The best slot, undoubtedly, is the middle of the day or late morning, after they have had something to eat. My JOC audition was a perfect example: they had taken a 10 minute break before I sang; time to use the restroom, grab a bagel, and walk around for a few minutes. Result? I felt like I belonged there and like they actually wanted to hear me sing.

I can understand how days upon days of auditions get boring. The same arias. Some people good, some people bad. They've already made their decision with the first phrase. But, is it asking too much to at least ACT interested? Can you refrain from yawning and playing with your papers while I'm bustin out some Susanna? And worst of all- stop talking during the recit.

If I'm ever on the other side of the table, I'm going to do my best to remain engaged and focused. If that means not auditioning 150 singers for 4 slots, then so be it. If it means only hearing one aria (which thankfully they did do last night), then so be it. And if it means having my co-auditioner slap the hell outta me for yawning, consider it done.

2 Comments:

  • Oh Hil, I'm right there with ya. Three young artist audtions into it, and I'm already depressed...

    By Blogger midwest princess, at 7:40 AM  

  • You might as well walk in topless and sing Hey Big Spender.....
    hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhha!!!!!!!!!!!

    you know what i always say -
    fuck 'em.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home