Snippets from Science

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Ich verstehe, Art von

Working at Columbia University certainly has its perks, one of which is free tuition. If I wanted to, I could obtain a second master's degree for free. Well, almost free- there is the application fee and cost of books. But, when you factor out that $33,000/year in tuition, it's free.
At this time, I don't think I have the interest or time to go for another degree, but I am very interested in taking a German class. I mean, it would only cost me about $120 total- that includes the app fee, the class fee, and the books. Not bad for a semester's worth of classes, right? The only problem is, I have no idea what my level is. I haven't had a German class since my sophomore year in college; I hardly remember grammar and the stupid articles get me every time. It would make sense for me to start over. However, the only beginning German class offered is at night- 3 nights a week. That might not sound like a problem, and it isn't a problem, but I'm not sure if I want to give up 3 nights a week. It would mean not getting home until 8:30 or so. It would mean planning my workouts for 6:30 in the morning, which I really hate doing, and it would mean packing a lunch AND dinner 3 nights a week.
If, perchance, I would test into the elementary level II class, life would be perfect. The class meets everyday, during the lunch hour. I wouldn't have to stay late, and I could just eat lunch after class, at my desk, like I do everyday anyway.

So, do I apply for the class- I have to take a placement exam- and just take what I can get? Or do I keep putting it off? OK. I think I just answered my own question. I'll start studying this weekend.