Snippets from Science

Monday, October 30, 2006

Starving Artist

Like most people in my situation, I have a ton of debt. Most of it is student loans, and a small percentage is credit cards; one of which will be paid off entirely by January (horrah!). Nevermind the fact that I'd like to be a homeowner someday- my student loans by themselves will take me about 25 years to pay off, but if I keep living in New York, it will probably take 40 years. Check out the articles in this week's New York Magazine to really get a glimpse at New York life. (For those who don't live here. For we who do, can you relate?) Notice the differences in "splurges" between teachers and business men.
Right now, I'm considering auditioning for the Army Field Band Soldier's Chorus in a few years. No kiddin'. It's a three-year commitment, and while it's not what I want to do with my life, it will eliminate almost all of my debt which will then allow me to move to Europe and live comfortably. And by comfortably, I mean without $48,000 in debt. It's just a thought, but reading these articles sure does put a lot into perspective.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home