Snippets from Science

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Quite possibly the biggest bullshit story of my life

I graduated from WVU 4.5 years ago. Let's just keep that in mind, shall we?

Parking on campus was always a GIGANTIC nightmare. There was not nearly enough parking for the number of cars, and given the fact that I lived too far from campus to walk, I had to drive every day. Needless to say, I got parking tickets. I could never afford a permit (it was something ridiculous like $160/year, and that's a lot of money to a college student.) I always paid my parking tickets, because if I didn't, a notice was sent home to my parents, who promptly screamed at me and refused to send me any money.

During my last semester, I racked up quite the bill, with something like $100 in tickets. I SPECIFICALLY remember paying $80.00 the week before I graduated, because I was worried that I wouldn't receive my diploma. And Lord knows I wasn't leaving that university without proof. I graduated- got my paper- and got out.

Cut to 2 years later. I receive something in the mail, saying that I owe the parking office of WVU $80.00 in back parking tickets. I kindly disregard it, remembering that I had paid my debt, and figuring that they are just complete idiots. It had, afterall, been 2 years since I left. A few months later, I received another letter saying that I owed $80.00 to the parking office. This time I called. I kindly explained to the woman on the line that I had paid these tickets prior to my leaving WVU and that this debt was not possible. Fine, no problem.

Cut to today...this morning...15 minutes ago. Yesterday, I requested that a copy of my transcript be sent to me, as I need this and my Peab. transcript for my Juilliard application. I got an email stating that WVU cannot process my request until the "hold on my account" is removed. Guess what? Parking office. ONCE AGAIN, I call. "Well, we don't have any evidence that you paid $80.00 worth of tickets."
"But, I did. I graduated. I have my diploma. I would not have received a diploma had I not paid the tickets. THAT WAS 4.5 YEARS AGO."
The lady on the phone was actually really nice; it's not her fault they are complete assholes.
"Well, in order to lift the hold, you have to pay these. I'm not sure what else to tell you. I can go over your payment history with you if you would like. Or, you can fax us a copy of your receipt for the $80.00."
Receipt? Right. I still have a receipt for 4 years ago, for a car I don't even OWN anymore.
"Well, looks like I'm screwed. Do you take Visa?"

1 Comments:

  • 1st of all: HAHAH
    2nd of all: you're applying to julliard???

    By Blogger Ratface, at 7:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home