Snippets from Science

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

It's Suburbia

One thing I really miss about living anywhere but NYC is going to Target. And to Wal-Mart. And to Michael's Crafts. I never thought I'd miss strip malls, but I do; especially around this time of year. I used to LOVE going to those joints, looking for Halloween decorations, Christmas decorations, craft projects, candles, etc. After gathering the materials to make my wreath or whatever, I would go home, light that pumpkin spice candle, have a handful of candy corn, and get to work making some pretty, fall-like thing for the front door.
Nowadays, after a long day, work out, cooking dinner, laundry, and showering, it's already 9:30 PM and I really don't have the energy or interest to make something out of fake leaves. It's sad, really. I miss it, just like I miss my 15 minute commute, car, and privacy. But I digress.
Tonight, I'm going to Target for the first time in 6 months. I haven't set foot in any sort of general department store since leaving Baltimore. (And this Target is in Brooklyn, for God's sake. I may as well drive to Towson.) Even though I'm only stopping in Target so my friend Bucket can return some sheets, I'm REALLY excited. I told him that while we only have a limited time there (b/c we have our first bocce ball team practice tonight- more on that tomorrow), I plan to make a B-line for the purses and workout clothes. And even though I won't be buying any wreath-making gear, you better believe that my final stop will be the Halloween section.

2 Comments:

  • oh man - i feel your pain. imagine being in a different country, and not even having familiar stores... hahah just kidding. there's a fucking wal-mart less than a mile away- and we live in the city!! it is protested on a regular basis by those crazy canadians. i think it's cute though - they have a little maple leaf on the wal-mart sign - just like mc donalds does here.
    see "the corporation." - very scary movie. you won't feel the urge to do wal-mart or target anymore. i do so miss the cheap clothing though...

    By Blogger chiquita yellow gold, at 9:03 AM  

  • I miss Target sometimes too.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home